1.1.10

Silhouette Sunset Cake

The coastal silhouette sunset cake was a very fun cake for me to make. I got to get pretty creative with the design. I was able to choose both the subject and colors of the cake.
I made this cake for a scouting event, it was auctioned off and the donations were given to the scouts to further their education at scout camp.
As you can see (below) this cake is tri-layered, and each layer corresponds to a color in the sunset. The cake is covered in rolled fondant that I colored to also represent a sunset.
I used black-gray colored fondant to make rocks and cliffs that stick out of the cake, to make it more 3-Dimensional. I also used fondant to create the Palm tree stems. I made royal icing, and colored it black to pipe on the palm fronds, coconuts, water, and birds on the cake.

Recipe for Royal Icing:

2 large egg whites
2 teaspoons fresh orange juice
3 c. confectioners sugar

In the bowl of your electric mixer, beat the egg whites with the juice. Add the powdered sugar and beat on low speed until combined and smooth.
The icing needs to be used immediately or transferred to an airtight container as royal icing hardens when exposed to air. Cover with damp towel or plastic wrap when not in use.

I always use paste-based food color. Using paste-based coloring will not affect the consistency of your icing/frosting/batter, like liquid based dies do.




Photographs are © Copyright to me (or others when indicated) and are not in the public domain and may not be used on blogs, websites, or in other media without advance written permission from me.
 

1 comment:

.·:*¨¨*:·.Hep*Hep*Hooray said...

great cakes and pictures!!