1.1.10

California Beach Cake

I made this cake for a scouting event, it was auctioned off and the donations were given to the scouts to further their 'education' at scout camp.
It was fun to make this cake, because I got to choose the materials and design.
I made the shells out of fondant (hand sculpted), everything is edible. The rocks were made from chocolate and coated with a candy coating (they are not handmade). I also painted a bit of coloring on the fondant shells.
The layers on the inside cake go as follows; Bottom: sandy brown. Middle layer: white. Top layer: sky blue.
The frosting was made from a simple butter-cream frosting recipe. I used paste-based food coloring to color the frosting. The sand of the cake is made from a mixture of raw cane sugar, and turbinado sugar (natural/unrefined brown sugar). To make the darker "wet" part of the sand I added a bit of brown food dye to the sugar.
I wanted the cake to have an artistic quality to it, cartoon-ish, some would say, thus I purposefully made the water blue, without any whitecaps. I thought it looked more artistic/less real that way.


Photographs are © Copyright to me (or others when indicated) and are not in the public domain and may not be used on blogs, websites, or in other media without advance written permission from me.

No comments: